Sunday, March 7, 2010

Grading the 1st round - Dynasty League




Well thanks to one fantasy owner whose dog wants to eat the bones off the commish the first round of the 2010 Dynasty League Draft felt like the 2007 NFL Draft, but like any die hard fan you sat through it and watched it all. Here is hoping that the rest of the draft runs smoothly. Good boy Berkley, bite that commish.


A+
Team Wood with their selection of Steven Strasburg. He was the clear cut #1 choice in this draft. Any other selection in my opinion would have been a F. In the past 20 years a pitcher has gone #1 overall in the MLB draft seven times. They were all pretty much busts. Twenty years from now looking back at it, I will still remember one of those guys mainly because of his lunatic wife. I still remember Anna Benson to this day on the Stern show saying that she would sleep with the entire Mets organization if she ever found out if her husband Kris cheated her. I wonder if the bat boys or Mr.Met would be included in that.



Matt Wieters in the 17th round is incredible value even though it cost the Pandas Wandy Rodriguez & his first rounder. Might I add that Wandy Rodriguez was a final round selection in last years draft by yours truly. Jamie basically gets a catcher who could be in the top 5 this year and every year for the next 10+ years. I like Wieters a lot and if I were Duffs I would have shopped him around a little more as I think he could have gotten more for Wieters then he did.

B+
I am giving myself Xtreme Dynasty a B+ for the first round of the draft. Looking at needs before the draft started it was clear to me that I needed to focus on HR/TB/RBI. I struggled with them a lot last year. My team is pretty solid coming into the year at every position, but I lacked a 2b. Jose Lopez was not only one of the top players available in HR/RBI/TB, he filled a glaring need at the 2b position since I lost Brandon Phillips. Lopez was waiver wire material after the first two months of the season last year, but after the slump he finished very strong. Safeco definitely is a pitchers park which is great if you have King Felix or Cliff Lee, but not if you have a hitter from that park. Lopez home splits were pretty dreadful, but away from Safeco he hit .313 last season. If Seattle is out of it come trade deadline time, Lopez could be shopped to make room for prospect Dustin Ackley. If a trade happens, Lopez potentially could be a top 5 2b.



I am also giving the other team in this trade a B+. Stonehenge clearly needed help, and picking McLouth 3rd overall in this draft would have been a decent 1st round for him. Stonehenge got McLouth who should be a lock for another 20-20 campaign, and have a high run amount as well. In the trade he also got Russell Martin. Martin was a top 5 catcher going into last year. I am not ready to disregard Martin in the fantasy world yet. I don't think we will see any more 20 SB seasons out of him, but he does have a great OBP for a catcher, and should score a good amount of runs in explosive Dodgers lineup.

B-
I am giving the Beantown Brawlers & Little Honus Wagners both a B-. Fowler helps Beantown out in steals, but he K's a little too much for my liking. If you are going to draft a guy who K's a lot why not just keep Nelson Cruz who will also hit you 35 HR's and steal a good amount of bases? Fowler has potential though. Montero busted out last year, and I definitely like the fact that Arizona's lineup is filled with young talent like Upton,Reynolds & Drew. He was my top catcher on my board. Both of these picks were good solid picks, but both with questions.

C+
J-Fraud has a veteran pitching staff that includes Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, AJ Burnett & John Lackey. Getting a young pitching prospect who many say can be as good as Roy Halladay some day I think was a great move. Drabek was one of the top SP prospects available, plus he is well known as he was mentioned endless times around the trade deadline.

Todd Helton is not the prototypical dynasty league draftee at age 36, but if NCU can squeeze another .310/.400 75/75 season out of him, then he would be well worth the pick here. Great value for one season, but when will the wheels fall off ?

C-
Michael Taylor drafted 2nd overall by the Expos was a tad bit high in my opinion. There were plenty of young players that could help win now. Taylor would have been on the board most likely to start round 2. OF is pretty deep, and most of the other teams protected 2-3 OF's at least. I would have gambled and waited knowing I already have Jennings & Montero on my minor league squad.



When will CT Crush's man love for the Rays end? Jeremy Hellickson is Ray #9 on his team. I like Hellickson but not as much as Drabek who has that pitching pedigree. The over/under is set at 12 for the amount of Rays on Bruces final roster. I like the pick even though he is a Ray, but I think it was a round too early.

D+
I think this is where Duffs belongs after round 1. The picks he made JA Happ & Dustin Ackley were fantastic. The big question is though, does Wandy Rodriguez & Dustin Ackley = Matt Wieters. In my opinion it doesn't. Not enough for one of the best hitting catcher prospects to come our way since Mike Piazza. I do give credit to Josh however for making the move. His current pitching staff was filled with question marks. If Ackley who is a top 10 prospect by many going into this year pans out, then this trade is well worth it. I would have wanted a front line starter someone like Wainwright to move Wieters.

F
One team gets the big fat F in my book, and that is Team Hanson. Rich Harden was a terrible pick in my opinion. #1 He now pitches in Texas where balls fly out all summer long. #2 This guy is a trip to the DL waiting to happen. Harden had his second best season in the bigs in his seven year career in innings pitched with 141. Harden has only topped 100 IP three times. Harden is a very good pitcher when healthy, but I don't want to start the playoffs seeing DL next to his name. Too much of a gamble for me.


Im ready for round 2! Lets get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment